Having a wifi network at home or office creates a number of problems. Mainly in terms of security. Indeed, a security deficit can favor an intruder to access the network, the various devices connected to it but also its traffic. This is how a person in bad faith can carry out attacks from a distance without being noticed. It is, therefore, necessary to strengthen the security of your wifi network, to be able to make NetBet online bets quietly for example, which is not easy. how to secure wifi connection?
how to secure a wifi
We will start with common sense advice which consists of:
- Choose a strong password for your wifi network
Generally, your wifi network is governed by the operator’s box. In clearer terms, the operator already assigns you a very complicated connection key that it is not mandatory to change. Unless your box is accessible to everyone, you can consider changing it to prevent anyone from connecting.
- Choose the highest encryption that will be compatible with your devices
You will find encryption methods on all routers and the most secure is in bold on the list, namely: WEP 64 bit, WEP 128 bit, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (TKIP), WPA2-PSK (AES) and WPA / WPA2-PSK (TKIP + AES).
And even recently several other modems offer the WPA3 method.
→The WEP method is the oldest of the encryption methods which is not recommended. If you choose this method, it’s like leaving your device unsecured.
→The WPA method is a method designed to improve the security of a wireless network. This is how after WPA 1, WPA 2 was conceived and more recently WPA 3 which is a method which is slow to be accessible.
→The TRIP method is the oldest of the strong encryption methods used by WPA.
→The AES method which is strong a strong encryption method used by the military.
→WPA / WPA2-PSK (TKIP + AES) is a hybrid mode that combines the two versions of the WPA protocol and encryption to be more modulated. However, this mode allows the hacker to take advantage of the flaws in the WPA 1 and WPA 2 protocol but also to exploit TRIP which is less secure encryption than AES.
- Change the name of your SSID network
Each operator has his name and this is an important indication for hackers who will use it to exploit a failure on equipment such as Bbox, Livebox, Freebox or SFRbox. It is therefore advisable to change the name to confuse the tracks.
- Keep the router update
If flaws exist, the designers are there to provide a remedy to them and offer updates repeatedly. To do this, you must log in to your administration area.
The most advanced tips to secure your wifi network
- First, disable WPS which is a technology that simplifies the connection of a device to wifi. You must deactivate this function from the management interface of your box.
- In a second step, you must hide the SSID if you want to go further in terms of security. This method makes your wifi as discreet as possible in an environment full of SSID networks. To connect to your network, you must manually enter the name, the security standard and the key.
- Reduce the signal strength of your router, if it allows it. But also opt for a single 5 GHz wifi network and deactivate the 2.4 GHz networks.
- Finally, Choose a different login or password for managing your router.
Other complex methods to secure your wifi
- One of the most complex methods is to filter the mac address. However, this method is not recommended since an intruder can find the mac addresses authorized by brute force and pretend to be a valid device.
- The other complicated method is to install a VPN on the router. But such an installation will make your connection unstable with breaks that may last several minutes.